We love to travel by car and see places from a land perspective. We have traveled all over the east coast of the United States with our kids, and also made trips from Medellin to El Eje Cafetero and to Bucaramanga and Barichara, and it has been a super experience!
These are our tips:
- Packing things in an organized way and having the most necessary things at hand. We have a bag with snacks and we pack a backpack for each child with things to do on the trip that they can easily access.
- Have easy-to-handle toys like many of Melissa and Doug’s that are easy to insert, to find, to draw, etc.
- We love podcasts and audiobooks because they learn and are entertained just by listening. Our favorites: Wow in The World, Circle Round, Brains On, and Tumble. There are lots of stories on YouTube in all the languages too.
- Be prepared and willing to make many stops, whether it’s to use the bathroom, to get gas, or to stretch your legs. Little ones especially need those breaks to be able to get through several hours in the car.
- Research cool and interesting places to stop on the way. Whenever we go on a trip, we look at the map and look for kid-friendly places to take the kids. These stops obviously make the trip longer but they are well worth it.
What has helped you to have a good road trip with your kids?